By Gerald D. Nash, Richard W. Etulain, Earl Pomeroy
Read or Download Researching Western History: Topics in the Twentieth Century PDF
Similar state & local books
An affectionate, irreverent, candid examine the "Heart of Dixie. "This publication tells Alabama's historical past in a conversational kind with an unapolo-getically subjective strategy. available to normal readers and scholars alike, it recounts the heritage and politics of a nation recognized for its colourful earlier, advised by way of one of many state's such a lot famous historians and educators, whose relatives got here to the territory earlier than statehood.
The paintings of Bernard Maybeck has motivated generations of architects. His landmark structures comprise the Palace of excellent Arts and primary Church of Christ, Scientist. His emphasis on an open use of common fabrics marks him as a pioneer in sustainable structure, or "green layout. " Maybeck's paintings achieves that gentle stability among historicism and modernism, and his structures are nonetheless in use all through numerous states at the West Coast and the Midwest.
From Washington sq. Park and the Gaslight Café to WNYC Radio and Folkways files, big apple City's cultural, inventive, and advertisement resources helped to form a distinctively city breeding floor for the folks track revival of the Nineteen Fifties and 60s. folks urban explores New York's significant position in fueling the national craze for folks song in postwar the USA.
This ebook addresses the concept that sufferers stay contested and arguable members of justice within the twenty-first century adverse felony trial. sufferers are more and more partaking in all stages of the felony trial, with new substantial and procedural rights, lots of that could be enforced opposed to the kingdom or defendant.
- Family Secrets: The Case That Crippled the Chicago Mob (True Crime)
- Jigsaw Puzzle Politics in the Sunshine State
- Lord Baltimore: English Politician and Colonist (Colonial Leaders)
- The Sutton-Taylor Feud: The Deadliest Blood Feud in Texas (A.C. Greene Series)
- Yankee Merchants and the Making of the Urban West: The Rise and Fall of Antebellum St. Louis (Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Modern History)
- In Pursuit of Gold: Chinese American Miners and Merchants in the American West
Additional info for Researching Western History: Topics in the Twentieth Century
26 Much still needs to be done to clarify the history of workers and of labor in the West. Strikes have been most attractive to historians, whether in the Colorado or Arizona mining regions during the first three decades of the century. A few books have also recorded the travails of California Page 19 farm workers during the Great Depression. But thereafter the literature becomes more sparse. The experiences of workers in the West during World War II remains largely unwritten. The efforts of women and blacks, for example, to secure full membership in the AFL Boilermaker's Union in California, Oregon, and Washington is still an obscure saga, although that union controlled most jobs in the Pacific Coast shipbuilding industry.
8 In the West no mention of agriculture can ignore the vital element of water. In the last two decades a growing number of scholars have devoted their attention to the subject and have done much to clarify major trends. Yet the subject has hardly been exhausted. Biographical studies of key individuals in the development of water policies would add a human dimension to the subject. Just as state engineer William Ham Hall was an important influence on water policies in California during the 1880s, so Stephen Reynolds in New Mexico, state engineer for more than three decades after 1945, had considerable impact, not only in his own state but throughout the Southwest.
15. Fritz Machlup, The Basing Point System (Philadelphia: Blakiston, 1949). : Cornell University Press, 1952). 16. John B. : MIT Press, 1968); Boeing Company, Pedigree of Champions: Boeing since 1916, 4th ed. (Seattle: Boeing Company, 1977); Joseph J. Corn, The Winged Gospel: America's Romance with Aviation, 19001950 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1983). 17. Arnold S. Lott, A Long Line of Ships (Annapolis: United States Naval Institute, 1954); Wytze Gorter, The Pacific Coast Maritime Shipping Industry, 19301948, 2 vols.